Scripture Reference: Galatians 5:16-26
Suggested Emphasis: The Holy Spirit helps us live a Godly life.
One of the subjects Paul discusses in his epistle to the churches of Galatia was a comparison of living with a “sinful nature” and living “by the Spirit.” If a person does not follow God but does sinful things simply because they “feel good” then their life will reflect this sinful nature. Sin is the fruit. Christians know that the Holy Spirit lives inside of them and they will do the good things that please the Holy Spirit and God. The good things of the Spirit are reflected in the Christian’s life. This is the fruit of the Spirit.
Way to Introduce the Story:
Bring an apple (or other fruit) to class today. Talk about the fact that the apple grows on a tree. Cut the apple open and let the children see the seed inside. Ask the children what would happen if you plant the seed. “A tree will grow. When the tree gets big enough then little buds appear and we have apple blossoms. What happens next? Do you think lemons will start growing on the tree? Of course not! If you plant apple seeds then a tree will grow and you will get apples.” You can do the same with some other fruits and then eat them. “Does anyone know what God plants inside of a Christian when he or she is baptised? . . . The Holy Spirit! If an apple seed is planted then a fruit called an apple is produced. If the Spirit is inside of you, guess what kind of fruit is produced . . . the Fruit of the Spirit. Lets read our bibles to find out what that fruit looks like . . .”
- What does God plant inside a Christian at baptism? The Holy Spirit
- What kind of fruit should be produced in a Christian’s life? The Fruit of the Spirit
- Name some of the fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control
Learning Activities and Crafts:
- Use tempera paint to make fruit prints.
- Paint or draw pictures of fruit.
- Taste different types of fruit. For fun you could blindfold a child and let him/her taste a piece of fruit and guess what flavour it is. Repeat for a number of children with different types of fruit.
- Write the name of a fruit down the side of a paper and ask the children to think of Godly attributes and behaviours that begin with the letters of that fruit. For example Pear: P-patience, E-eagerness to study the bible , A-a giving heart, R-righteousness.
- Make a mobile with pictures of fruit. Cut them out of newspaper and glue on to stiff card or draw your own. Write the fruit of the Spirit on each one.
- Make a collage of different kinds of seeds with pictures of the fruits they produce.
- Check the Teaching Ideas page on this website for ideas that are adaptable to any lesson.
- Find other ideas on the Pinterest Board “New Testament Epistles“
Other Online Resources:
- Colouring pages and puzzle worksheets at http://calvarycurriculum.org/
- Instructions on how to present this lesson at http://www.daniellesplace.com/
- Various activities, crafts and links from http://www.churchhousecollection.com/
- Various activities, crafts, links and printables from http://dltk-bible.com/
- Various activities, crafts, links and printables from http://www.mssscrafts.com/
- Various activities and links at http://www.innercourt.co.za/
- A selection of teaching ideas for toddlers from http://www.toddler-activities-at-home.com/
- Labelled colour fruit pictures to cut out and use for various decorations and crafts at http://akidsheart.com/
- Crossword puzzles at http://dltk-bible.com/crosswords/
- Game: “Please Pass the Fruit” at http://www.christiancrafters.com/
- Game: Fruit of the Spirit board game based on the “Battleship” game. Printable instructions and board at http://www.livingwaterbiblegames.com/
- Recipes: Use these for teaching the Fruits of the Spirit at http://kidsministryresources.pbworks.com/
- Lesson plan, craft and good printables. Found at http://kidsbibledebjackson.blogspot.co.nz/