Children love the idea of finding hidden treasures. Honestly, don’t we ALL enjoy the thought of finding hidden treasures?
Jesus must have known this when he used treasure and a valuable pearl to describe the Kingdom of Heaven.
“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it”.
Matthew 13:44-46 New International Version (NIV)
In the Parables of a Hidden Treasure and a Valuable Pearl, when a man found a treasure he hid it in a field and then sold everything he had to buy the field. Another man sold everything he had to buy a pearl of great value. Jesus said the Kingdom of God is like this. When we find God we should do everything we can to follow him.
Here are some ways to help children experience the Parable:
- Have children rewrite the parable using items of value to them. The treasure might be a million dollars or a huge diamond.
- Print out this worksheet for an interactive discussion about what we treasure.
- Write “God is MY Treasure” at the top of a poster board or large piece of paper. Bring catalogues, magazines, real estate ads and automobile ads to class and let the children cut out pictures of valuable things. Glue all of the pictures onto the poster. Discuss as you work.
- Make a treasure box and decorate it with glitter, beautiful stones, etc. Write “God” on the inside of the box.
- Use the “Crayon Resist” method to tell the story. Instructions Here.
- For review let the children choose a “treasure” out of a treasure box when they answer a question correctly.
- Ask a jeweller how much pearls cost. Ask if he or she knows the value of the world’s most valuable pearls. Share the information with the class.
- Find out if your public library has good picture books about how pearls are formed. Bring the books to class to show the children.
- Play hangman using words from today’s story (treasure, Matthew, pearl, merchant, etc.)
- Draw a vertical line down the centre of a chalk/white board. Title one column with “God’s Treasures” and title the other “Man’s Treasures”. Ask the children to help you think of items to write in each column. Discuss the value of each. Read Matthew 6:19-21. (This application idea is called Drawing Contrasts.)
©Mission Bible Class 2011-2023 Copies may be made for personal and ministry purposes only. Not to be sold or profited from in any way. www.missionbibleclass.org