Scripture Reference: Exodus 15:22-16:36
Story Overview: The Hebrews began the long trek through the desert. As their food and water ran out, they began to grumble and complain. They began to wonder if maybe they had been better off as slaves in Egypt. When the Lord led them to an oasis where there was plenty of water, the people complained that the water was bitter. The Lord made it sweet by having Moses throw a piece of wood in it. Later, He caused a miraculous dew to fall around them each morning. As the dew dried it left flakes of sweet bread (manna) for them to eat. At night large flocks of quail flew in to provide plenty of meat.
Suggested Emphasis:The Lord took care of His people in the wilderness and he will take care of us today.
Memory Verse: “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19, NIV
|Background Study||Way to Introduce the Story||The Story|
|Review Questions||Craft and Activity Ideas||Online Resources|
- What happened before this story?
- What happens after this story?
- List of all Bible stories and themes on this website.
Way to Introduce the Story:
Bring very thin wafers or crackers and honey to class. Have a snack before the story. “Do you like the taste of the honey and crackers? When the Israelites left Egypt they were very happy. After a while their food began to run out and they became hungry. Soon they began to wonder if maybe they would rather go back to Egypt. God sent them some special food.”
Ways to Tell the Story:
This story can be told using a variety of methods. Always remain true to the facts found in the Bible but help children connect to its meaning by using drama, visual aids, voice inflection, student interaction and/or emotion.
Click here for visual aids and story-telling methods.
- What did God do to make the bitter water sweet? He told Moses to throw a piece of wood in it.
- What did the Israelites complain about in the desert? Not anything to eat or drink. They wanted to go back to Egypt.
- What did God provide them to eat? manna in the morning and quail at night
Craft and Activity Ideas:
- Review and continue to learn the memory verse as it applies to the lesson today.
- Draw a line down the centre of a chalk/white board. Head one column with the word “Needs” and the other with “Wants”. List items under one or the other. Does God give us what we need? Which things do we complain the most about?
- Make a collage with pictures cut out of magazines. Make sure the pictures are of the things that God provides us with. Write the memory verse (Philippians 4:19) in the centre of the collage.
- Act out today’s story.
- Start a collection of items for the needy. Perhaps have a box to collect tins of food for the church pantry.
- Check the Teaching Ideas page on this website for ideas that are adaptable to any lesson.
- Find other ideas on the Pinterest Board “Moses:Wilderness Wanderings“
Other Online Resources:
- Colouring page and puzzle worksheets (Exodus 16) at http://calvarycurriculum.org/
- Colouring page and puzzle worksheets (Numbers 11) at http://calvarycurriculum.org/
- Game: ‘Journey to the Promised Land’ game at http://www.christiancrafters.com/
- A good selection of both online and printable puzzles, activities and story words covering an overview of leaving Egypt through the Wilderness Wanderings at http://gardenofpraise.com/