Scripture Reference: Exodus 1:1-2:10
Story Overview: Almost 400 years had passed since the time when Joseph invited his family to move to Egypt. The Pharaoh who now ruled Egypt hated the Israelites and worried that they had became so numerous. He made them slaves and ordered the deaths of all baby boys born to them. To save her infant son, Jochabed placed him in a basket and hid him among the reeds along the Nile River. His big sister, Miriam, watched after him. Pharaoh’s daughter discovered the baby as she was bathing and adopted him and raised him as her son. She called him Moses.
Suggested Emphasis: Parents have love and concern for their children.
|Background Study||Way to Introduce the Story||The Story|
|Review Questions||Craft and Activity Ideas||Other Online Resources|
- What happened before this story?
- What happens after this story?
- List of all Bible stories and themes on this website.
Way to Introduce the Story:
Older children could look up Egypt on a map. Bring books from the public library or National Geographic Magazines to show pictures of the Nile River. Discuss what it would be like on the edge of a river. There would be squishy mud and reeds. Ask younger children if they have ever been to a river or if they have ever stepped in mud. “Today’s story from the bible takes place right beside a river.”top top
Ways to Tell the Story:
This story can be told using a variety of methods. Always remain true to the facts found in the Bible but help children connect to its meaning by using drama, visual aids, voice inflection, student interaction and/or emotion.
Click here for visual aids and story-telling methods.
- Why did the new Pharaoh hate the Jews? Because there were so many of them and he thought they might join with Egypt’s enemies.
- How did the Pharaoh treat the Jews? He made them slaves and made them work very hard. He was cruel to them.
- What did the Pharaoh say must happen to baby Jewish boys? They would be thrown in the river to die.
- Who were Moses’ mother, brother, and sister? Jochabed (mother), Aaron, and Miriam.
- How did Moses’ mother hide him? Put him in a woven basket that was made to float in the reeds beside the Nile River.
- Who found the basket with baby Moses inside? The Pharaoh’s daughter.
- What did Pharaoh’s daughter do? She adopted Moses and raised him in the palace.
Craft and Activity Ideas:
- Use flax or paper and weave a small place mat.
- Have the children look up the book of Genesis and read some of the key verses in today’s story.
- Show family photos of newborn babies and their parents.
- Ask someone with an infant to come to class today. Discuss how difficult it would be to keep the baby hidden.
- Older children could learn some basic babysitting principles.
- Younger children could wrap dolls in blankets and put them in baskets.
- Find Egypt on a map or globe. Let children find the Nile River.
- Make a relief map of Egypt.
- There are many books about ancient Egypt in most public libraries. Take the time to obtain some of these books. They will really enhance your bible lessons over the next weeks. You will find photos of the Nile River and of Pharaoh’s and princesses.
- Guide children to use salt-dough to make their own Baby Moses. Following is a lesson plan for teaching 4-5 year olds: Birth of Moses Lesson Plan
Other Online Resources:
- Colouring page and puzzle worksheets at http://calvarycurriculum.org/pdf/Curriculum/Original/Curriculum/CURR035.PDF
- Video: Animated telling of the story (3 minutes) at http://youtu.be/Mjjqpe0mgLc
- Craft: Coffee filter and paper craft of Miriam watching over baby Moses at http://www.dltk-bible.com/crafts/mmosesandmiriam.htm
- Craft: Miriam’s timbrel “praise shaker” made from paper plate.
Instructions at http://www.littleblots.com/BibleCraftsPraiseShaker.html
- Baby Moses in a basket printable craft.
Instructions at http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/Bible-Themes-Moses.html#Miriam
- Printable Bookmarks. Enter your own personal text and then print them. http://activitiesforkids.com/bookmarks-for-kids/
- Worksheets: There are a number of Old Testament worksheets on the following link. Just scroll down to “Baby Moses”. The link is http://www.squidoo.com/bible-worksheets-OT#module110252211
- A good selection of both online and printable puzzles, activities and story words covering Moses’ birth through plagues) at http://gardenofpraise.com/bibl7s.htm
- A good selection of both online and printable puzzles, activities and story words covering an overview of leaving Egypt through the Wilderness Wanderings at http://gardenofpraise.com/bibl8s.htm