How It Works
Children follow a “path” and stop along the way to say parts of the memory verse. The words might be written out at each stop but once the children repeat the journey a number of times they learn to say the verse from memory without reading the words.
- A Bible and chosen verse(s)
- (outdoors) Sidewalk chalk and a surface such as sidewalk/footpath, asphalt, driveway or paved parking lot
- (indoors) Marker, pen or pencil and paper. Rope, string, masking tape to visually connect the papers and form a path
- (outdoors) A stick to “write” with and a surface such as sand or beach
- or any combination of the above.
- Read over the verse(s) and divide it into phrases.
- Create a path using the method you have selected.
- Write the phrases on separate pieces of paper (or on the surface you have selected).
- Place them on the path in the order they will be said.
- Show the children how to follow the path. They will stop at each paper and read the phrase aloud before walking to the next phrase. (You might do it first to show them how it is done.)
- Older children can write out the phrases and set up the game for everyone else.
- This activity can be done at a quiet and slow pace appropriate for smaller indoor spaces or fast and loud if you have a large outdoor area.
- If you have plenty of help and space appoint helpers to stand at each stop and read the assigned phrase with the children. This personal touch aids in memorisation. You will be amazed how quickly children learn long passages of Scripture with this method.
Memory Lane Example:
I’ve used the verses known as the Great Commission in the example at the top of the page.
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20 NIV)
©Mission Bible Class 2011-2022 Copies may be made for personal and ministry purposes only. Not to be sold or profited from in any way. www.missionbibleclass.org