Scripture Reference: Acts 18:1-28
Story Overview: After leaving Athens Paul went on to the city of Corinth. While there he met Aquila and Priscilla, a Christian couple who made tents. Since Paul was also a tentmaker, he stayed with them. They made tents during the week and Paul preached in the synagogues each Sabbath (Saturday- a special day of rest for Jews). After about a year and a half Paul and Aquila and Priscilla moved to the city of Ephesus (later Paul wrote a letter- Ephesians- to this church.) Paul went on back to Antioch but Aquila and Priscilla stayed in Ephesus and made tents and taught people about Jesus. Once a man named Apollos was teaching about Jesus but had not heard what baptism really meant. Aquila and Priscilla invited him to their house and explained things to him so that he would understand better.
Suggested Emphasis: We should teach about Jesus and be good examples no matter what kind of job we have.
|Background Study||Way to Introduce the Story||The Story|
|Review Questions||Craft and Activity Ideas||Online Resources|
The story of Priscilla and Aquila takes place during the last stages of Paul’s 2nd Missionary Journey and the beginning of his 3rd Missionary Journey. To spread the Gospel message Paul, Silas and Timothy had travelled across Asia Minor and entered into the new area of Macedonia. After preaching in Athens, Paul will travel with Priscilla and Aquila to Ephesus before leaving them there and making his way back to the place where the trip began, the Antioch church.
work in progress…
Way to Introduce the Story:
Before class use blankets and sheets to form a tent in your classroom. When it is time to begin class ask all of the children to get inside the tent with you. “Today we are going to learn about some people in the book of Acts who had a job making tents. Why do you think people needed tents in the first century?” (Staying overnight when they travelled, room for extra guests, etc.) “How do you think tents were made since there were no sewing machines? Who wants to guess who one of the tentmakers was in the Book of Acts? Let’s listen to the story and find out!
- What was Paul’s job? Tent maker
- Who were the husband and wife who were tentmakers? Aquila and Priscilla
- In Corinth, Paul made tents during the week and preached in the synagogues when? Each Sabbath-Saturday
- When Aquila and Priscilla moved to Ephesus, they heard a man named Apollos preaching about Jesus. Why did they invite him to their house? He was not teaching correctly about baptism so they taught him so he would understand.
- Continue to add words to the “Paul” poster.
- Finish tracing Paul’s second missionary journey on the map.
- Make a “tent” out of sheets and blankets and let all of the children get inside when you tell the story today.
- Sing: This Little Light of Mine or I Can Be a Missionary
- List as many careers as possible. Let children describe how they can do each of these jobs in a way that pleases God. Example: Doctor- treat patients kindly, give free service to poor people, etc. Scientist- help show ways that God created the earth . . .
- Make a collage showing different careers
- Older children can write newspaper ads for jobs- listing Christian qualifications along with other job qualifications.
- Find out more about tent making in New Testament times and share the findings with the class
- If the weather is right and you are ambitious—plan an overnight class party and stay in a tent.
- Craft: Make a relief map of Paul’s Journies featuring the place in today’s story. If you are studying about Paul’s journies over a few lessons then you could add more details to the map each time you learn about another stop on the journey. Instructions on how to make a relief map at http://www.squidoo.com/salt-dough-maps
- Check the Teaching Ideas page on this website for ideas that are adaptable to any lesson.
- Find other ideas on the Pinterest Board “Acts:Life of Paul”
Other Online Resources:
- A good selection of puzzles and games to print at http://www.gardenofpraise.com/bibl69s.htm
- (More about when Paul first met Priscilla aquila in Corinth): A good selection of puzzles and games to print at http://www.gardenofpraise.com/bibl68s.htm
- How to make a play tent at http://www.ehow.com/info_8162625_tent-crafts-kids.html
- Craft: Mini tent with popsicle (ice-block) sticks at http://www.familycorner.com/family/kids/crafts/camping-tent-sleeping-bag-craft.shtml
- Craft: Make paper dolls for various careers. Printable patterns at http://www.makingfriends.com/friends/f_career.htm
- Lesson plan and activities at http://sundayschoolsources.com/lessons/Paul/Ephesus.htm
- Review: Create a “passport” that covers the life of Paul. Good visual ideas and activities. Could be split up to go with several lessons or taught all together as a review of previous lessons concerning Paul found at http://kidsbibledebjackson.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/review-of-pauls-life.html
- Make a Tent: Great ideas on how to make simple tents to talk about Paul, Priscilla and Aquila being tent makers. All kids love tents and they could be made from any spare material. Lesson found at http://kidsbibledebjackson.blogspot.co.nz/2012/08/bible-class-tent-ideas.html