Scripture Reference: Acts 8:4-5, 26-40
Story Overview: An angel of God told Philip to go to a certain desert road that led to Gaza. Philip did just as the angel said and he found a very important man riding in a chariot. This man was from the country of Ethiopia and he was a chief official of the
Queen. He was reading from an Old Testament scroll but was not able to understand it. Philip got into the chariot with the man and began explaining what it meant and all about Jesus. When the chariot passed some water, the official asked Philip to baptize him (and he did!)
Suggested Emphasis: Teachers, preachers, elders, and other Christians can help us understand the bible.
|Background Study||Way to Introduce the Story||The Story|
|Review Questions||Craft and Activity Ideas||Other Online Resources|
Way to Introduce the Story:
Before class use a sheet of paper to write the words from Isaiah that the Eunuch was reading: “He was led like a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb before the shearer is silent, so he did not open his mouth. In his humiliation he was deprived of justice. Who can speak of his descendants? For his life was taken from the earth.” (Acts 8:32b-33) Roll the paper up to form a scroll. When the children arrive open the scroll and have one of the children read it. Ask them what this verse means and then discuss the fact that sometimes the word of God can be difficult to understand. Elders, preachers, bible class teachers, and others who study their bibles can often help us to understand what we read. In today’s story we are going to read about a man who read the very same verses that we just read. Someone helped him to understand.
- Who told Philip to go to the desert road to Gaza? An angel of the Lord
- What was the Ethiopian Official riding in? A chariot
- What was the Ethiopian Official doing when Philip first saw him? Reading a scroll of the book of Isaiah
- What did the Ethiopian Official want to do after Philip taught him about Jesus? He wanted to be baptized
- Sing “Love is Something if You Give it Away” lyrics here
- Sing: Roll, Roll, Chariot Roll or We Will Roll the Gospel Chariot Along
- Direct the children to mime the story today as a review
- Have one of the elders or preachers in class today to tell the children what they do to help explain God’s word to people like Philip did. They may explain their education and experience. Ask them to show the class some sermon outlines or bible study courses.
- Make a scroll. Click here for instructions. Write “Share God’s Word” on the scroll.
- Check the Teaching Ideas page on this website for ideas that are adaptable to any lesson.
- Colouring page and puzzle worksheets from http://www.calvarycurriculum.com/pdf/childrenscurriculum/NEW/CURR251.PDF
- Colouring page (baptism) from http://www.calvarywilliamsport.com/5b.htm
- Colouring page from http://www.calvarywilliamsport.com/5a134.htm
- Colouring page with Philip, Eunuch and chariot from http://www.calvarywilliamsport.com/5a178.html
- Visual Aid: Colour pictures that cover both Philip and the Ethiopian and the story of Saul’s conversion (Acts 9) It is in pdf. and can be viewed on screen. However, I found it easier to save it to my computer and then view it. From http://bibleforchildren.org/PDFs/english/From%20Persecutor%20to%20Preacher%20English.pdf
- Online slideshow at http://biblelessonsite.org/slideshow91.html
- Craft: “Baptism in a bottle” from http://docthelmaskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/04/sunday-school-baptism-craft.html
- Craft: Milk carton chariot from http://www.mssscrafts.com/crafts/chariot/index.htm
- Craft: Written instructions for a paper chariot from http://www.ehow.com/how_5709407_make-kids_-craft-paper-chariot.html
- Craft: Pop-up book about salvation at http://biblesongsandmore.wordpress.com/activities/popup/salvation/#comment-147
- Printable Bookmarks. Enter your own personal text and then print them. http://activitiesforkids.com/bookmarks-for-kids/
- Game: Pass It On game with ping-pong balls from http://christiancrafters.com/game_passiton.html
- Online quiz: How well have you studied for this lesson? I challenge you to try this yourself! From http://www.funtrivia.com/newflash/trivia.cfm?qid=330411
- How to make a chariot out of a cardboard box. You’ll have to scroll down to the bottom as there are lots of items on a list. From http://www.dltk-bible.com/sunday_school_time_fillers.htm
- A good selection of puzzles and games to print at http://www.gardenofpraise.com/bibl56s.htm
- Lesson Plan: 20 pages include printable visuals, crafts and activities from http://www.mahwahjim.com/pdf_files/g1-2/Q7U18L4%201&2.pdf
- Lesson Plan for Pre-schoolers from http://www.calvary-kids-pages.com/pdf/sunday_school/philip_ethiopian_P.pdf
- Lesson Plan for Early Elementary age from http://www.calvary-kids-pages.com/pdf/sunday_school/philip_ethiopian_2.pdf
- Lesson Plan for older children from http://www.calvary-kids-pages.com/pdf/sunday_school/philip4.pdf