Fruit of the Spirit
Scripture Reference: Galatians 5:16-26
Suggested Emphasis: The Holy Spirit helps us live a Godly life.
One of the subjects Paul discusses in his epistle to the churches of Galatia was a comparison of living with a “sinful nature” and living “by the Spirit.” If a person does not follow God but does sinful things simply because they “feel good” then their life will reflect this sinful nature. Sin is the fruit. Christians know that the Holy Spirit lives inside of them and they will do the good things that please the Holy Spirit and God. The good things of the Spirit are reflected in the Christian’s life. This is the fruit of the Spirit.
Way to Introduce the Story:
Bring an apple (or other fruit) to class today. Talk about the fact that the apple grows on a tree. Cut the apple open and let the children see the seed inside. Ask the children what would happen if you plant the seed. “A tree will grow. When the tree gets big enough then little buds appear and we have apple blossoms. What happens next? Do you think lemons will start growing on the tree? Of course not! If you plant apple seeds then a tree will grow and you will get apples.” You can do the same with some other fruits and then eat them. “Does anyone know what God plants inside of a Christian when he or she is baptised? . . . The Holy Spirit! If an apple seed is planted then a fruit called an apple is produced. If the Spirit is inside of you, guess what kind of fruit is produced . . . the Fruit of the Spirit. Lets read our bibles to find out what that fruit looks like . . .”
- What does God plant inside a Christian at baptism? The Holy Spirit
- What kind of fruit should be produced in a Christian’s life? The Fruit of the Spirit
- Name some of the fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control
- Fruits of the Spirit Song
- Oh, Be Careful
- God is Listening When We Pray
- Refer to the Song Page on this website for more options.
Learning Activities and Crafts:
- Taste different types of fruit. For fun you could blindfold a child and let him/her taste a piece of fruit and guess what flavour it is. Repeat for a number of children with different types of fruit.
- Write the name of a fruit down the side of a paper and ask the children to think of Godly attributes and behaviours that begin with the letters of that fruit. For example Pear: P-patience, E-eagerness to study the bible , A-a giving heart, R-righteousness.
- Use tempera paint to make fruit prints.
- Paint or draw pictures of fruit.
- Make a mobile with pictures of fruit. Cut them out of newspaper and glue on to stiff card or draw your own. Write the fruit of the Spirit on each one.
- Make a collage of different kinds of seeds with pictures of the fruits they produce.
Check the Teaching Ideas page on this website for ideas that are adaptable to any lesson.
Other Online Resources:
- Colouring pages and puzzle worksheets (Calvary Curriculum)
- Instructions on one way to present this lesson (daniellesplace.com)
- Various activities, crafts and links (churchhousecollection.com)
- Various activities, crafts, links and printables (dltk-bible.com)
- Various activities, crafts, links and printables (mssscrafts.com)
- Various activities and links (innercourt.co.za)
- A selection of teaching ideas for toddlers (toddler-activities-at-home.com)
- Labelled colour fruit pictures to cut out and use for various decorations and crafts (akidsheart.com)
- Crossword puzzles (dltk-bible.com/crosswords)
- Game: “Please Pass the Fruit” (christiancrafters.com)
- Game: Fruit of the Spirit board game based on the “Battleship” game (livingwaterbiblegames.com)
- Recipes: Use these for teaching the Fruit of the Spirit (kidsministryresources.pbworks.com)
- Lesson plan, craft and good printables (kidsbibledebjackson.blogspot.co.nz)